Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Food for thought

Complements of the Team Estrogen community forum:

Just wanted to share my own biking/running journey to give you some hope re: running. Like you, I was a competitive runner but, from college on, was sidelined by injuries over and over again. That went on for 18 years, until last winter, when I decided something had to change and added biking (and swimming) to my running. I dropped my runs from 5-6 weekly to 2-3 weekly. It has been almost a year. I've discovered...

1) I like biking and swimming as much as running!
2) I have had no major injuries over the past year -- a record!
3) Entirely unexpectedly, I am running 5K and 10K times that are as fast as what I ran when I was 18! (I'm 37 now.) Yet... I'm not doing 30-40 mile weeks (though I do hard interval sets), I'm not sore all the time, and I look forward to every single one of my runs.

I never thought I'd be at this point again in my lifetime. Good luck with biking, and enjoy this journey!

------~*~------

No comments:

Post a Comment