Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Discontents, Scrambled Eggs

"You'll find it a bit lonely on my side."
"Your side always was a bit lonely."
- The Bride and Bill (Kill Bill, Vol. II)

An accurate summary of my social life. I'm good at making people like me. I can maintain several superficial relationships and social circles, ensuring that I always have a place to sit in the dining hall (unless I feel like sitting alone). This isn't to say that I don't have any real friends; I do care very deeply about several people. However, I've always kept my peers at arms distance. I don't know why, and I'm not upset about it. It's just what I do.

Call me egocentric. Call me irresponsible, ignorant, lonely, anti-social, or even cruel. I am who I am, and I know I am none of those things. College is not my cup of tea, and I'm finally realizing it's acceptable to pull back from the social scene and do what I want to do to keep myself happy.

One of these activities happens to be cooking. Today's menu: scrambled eggs with spinach, potato, garlic, scallion, and cheddar cheese. English muffin on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment